Sunday, August 14, 2011

Grados SR-80 DIY Repair

The left channel to my SR-80 started going bad a few months back, but I was able to jiggle the connection to make it work. I knew I probably shouldn't do that and should either send it in for repairs by Grados or do it myself since it seems like something trivial.

Well the left channel completely died about 2 months back, but I have been forgetful and lazy to fix it. I couldn't stand not using my pair of headphones to listen to music, so I tried to find a way to repair it. Read some threads from www.head-fi.org for tips about how to go about this. It didn't seem too bad.

I was able to clearly see where the connection went bad in the wiring on the left channel close to where the left earphone was. So to begin, I took off the left earphone ear pad. Then I took isolated the earphone by getting it off the clamp that holds it. I then used a hair dryer to heat around the casing of the earphone and made sure not to aim the hair dryer directly at the front or back of it. After a minute or so, the casing got hot enough and you could feel that the glue has been soften because you can easily twist and pull it apart. I used an ohmmeter to check the connection. The blue wiring didn't give any reading, the red did. Confirmed wiring problem.

Now to perform some operation on it. Stripped apart the rubber casing that holds the red and blue wires and removed the stopper. Cut some heat shrink and replaced it. I also stripped part of the lower part of the rubber casing to get some room to work with. Clipped the wires at the point where the connection seemed to be broken because of the 90 degrees bend. Stripped the wires to expose the copper. Used this little thing I'm not sure what to call it, but my dad suggested to use it. Stuck the wires of one end through the cylinder opening of one end, and the other wires through the other end and clamped together. Soldered the ends. Repeated for the other color wires. After the soldering, I used the ohmmeter to test the connection again and it gave readings. Perfect. I then plugged it into my laptop to give it a test driver and it worked. Beautiful :]

Now I just used a lighter to heat the heat shrink and then I put it all back together the way I took it apart and that was it.

Now back to music :]

No comments:

Post a Comment