Friday, August 5, 2011

FTPS

Setup FileZilla Server version 0.9.39 as my FTP server on Windows Server 2003 and configured it for FTPS using Explicit SSL/TLS. Proceeded to write some batch scripts to automate my FTP process. It worked fine when I was transferring small files that required less than 10 minutes, but I would receive a "Winsock send command fail" error in the command prompt exactly at 10 minutes if the transfer time took more than 10 minutes.

Oh man. That error stumped for a bit. I tried resetting winsock by using the command "netsh winsock reset" in the command prompt, but to no avail. I was pretty sure I configured everything correctly for the routers and firewalls, but went through and checked everything several more times to be sure. I tried to do some research on winsock to see what could be the problem, but was not finding out much. I even thought it could of been an ISP problem but there didn't seem to be anything wrong except for performance spikes during my FTP session. Great. I just wanted some way to keep the control connection from idling either by extending the idle timeout of TCP/IP or sending input to keep the control connection thinking it isn't idle.

The solution: hash

Thank goodness my good friend Chik, Network Guru, found this link:
Using hash sends # as control input until the file transfer is complete.

Ahhhh.. Everything works and all is well again.

No comments:

Post a Comment